2006-08-06

the return of the superman...


A 7-year old kid said exactly what I was thinking when I saw "Superman Returns" today. After about 20 minutes, the kid turned to his dad and said;
"When do things start happening?"
I know it's
sometimes necessary to explain certain aspects of the previous movies, but it made this movie dragging and boring to watch. Now, I am familiar with the "Superman" movies, but this kid in the theatre wasn't, and even he felt it was boring to wait for the action to kick in.


As for Brandon Routh as Superman/Clark Kent, he was alright. Not spectacular, but not all awful either. As Superman, he had the same face all the time, like stone. But when he acts like Clark Kent, we see some more aspects of his acting, and in some angles, he really looked like Christopher Reeves did in the original "Superman". That, I liked. Also, I liked a line that suggested that Jimmy Olsen has a thing for Clark, since he follows him around all the time. Funny stuff.

Also, Kevin Spacey, one of my favorite actors. A character like Lex Luthor gives room for some overacting, and Spacey doesn't hold back. He's not like Gene Hackman in the original, he'sa bit more psychotic. A bit more flamboyant. A bit more... Spacey. And I can't help but smile when he chirps out "Krrrrrryptonite" (*listen here*) to his archenemy, Superman.


Things I didn't like...

1. Lois' son. Annoying, and if it hadn't been for that subplot, it would have made the movie tighter and better.

2. Frank Langella as Perry White. He's a good actor, but terribly miscast in this part.

3. Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane. I prefer a more sassy Lois, like Margot Kidder in the first and second movie. Bosworth's Lois is just a too pretty, boring mom who acts like an unsympathetic bitch most of the time.

4. The length. I know I complained about the same thing when I saw "Pirates of the Caribbean; Dead Man's Chest", but at 2 hours and 22 minutes, and with an already dragging plot, this is really justified.

So, to summarize, my recommendation is that you walk, don't run, and certainly don't fly to the theatres to see this movie. But if you still want to see it after reading this, by all means, see it on a big screen, so at least you can appreciate the flying scenes to their full extent. The rest is more or less "meh".

2 comments:

Logan said...

Don't listen to RC, people! Superman's hot and he's packing ten pounds of dick down them drawers. :D

Anonymous said...

Jag gillade filmen. Fast saknade blodet. inte en drppe blod nånstans i filmen.

It's a bird, it's a plane, no it's....